Parents often remind kids that, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.”
That’s a great little saying because it rhymes and comes off as conveying profundity – but it’s a lie.
Name calling and hurtful words can do considerable damage.
While words may not actually break a bone, they most certainly can crush a heart, end a relationship or start a war.
Words have world-changing power.
Unfortunately, people take the power and impact of their words for granted.
Consider the world today if we didn’t have the following “words”
- The Declaration of Independence
- The Ten Commandments
- The American Constitution
- Martin Luther’s 95 Theses
- Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech
- The Gettysburg Address
- The German Instrument of Surrender for World War II
Question: What words will you use to change the world (or at least your part of it) for the better?