Home   About   Connect   Bonus   Wedded Blissters   Book
RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube

We’ve Learned the Sex of Our Baby…

For my wife and I, parenting is the  most important job we have in this life.

Meeting the basic physical needs of our kids is merely the “table stakes” of good parenting, we seek to do more than that by also meeting (and exceeding) their emotional, creative, intellectual and spiritual needs as well.

We’re not perfect parents by any stretch, but we are proactively and lovingly engaged in every aspect of their lives as we nurture them toward maturity.

One of the lessons that we continually strive to instill in our daughters is found in the book of Exodus chapter 20, verse 12 and it reads:

“Honor your father and mother that you will have long life….”

We’re convinced that this common sense instruction results in a promise of life that ultimately benefits our children and helps them avoid a host of bad decisions that can leech the life out of them – physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

Kim and I also try to model this behavior for our girls by honoring our own parents respectively, which brings us to the point of this post.

It’s easier to honor parents who are still living (such as my wife’s) by spending time with them, making memories together and blending them into our lives to the best of our ability.

However, when your parents are deceased (such as mine) it’s a little harder to honor them although I try to keep their memories alive through writings such as this one and echoing the life lessons they taught me growing up. But we’ve now been blessed with another way to honor my folks.

We’re having a boy!

For a while now, I had all but resigned myself to the belief that my parent’s surname would die with me – that was until yesterday when we learned via ultrasound that our 19-week baby has a Y-chromosome. While our family name might just be a protracted collection of consonants with a healthy dose of vowels mixed in, it’s actually a legacy that stretches back generations and will continue to move forward for at least one more.

For context, I’m Salvatore Nichols Constantino the VII – “Nichols” was my mother’s maiden name to honor her father. My wife and I have decided that to honor my dad, our son will be named Salvatore James Constantino the VIII – “James” is the first name of my wife’s dad to honor him as well.

While we’re thrilled to be blessed with a son for the reasons outlined above, that only enhances the double blessing we already have in our lives with our two girls. Our new baby will be loved as much as our girls, but not more than our girls – that’s simply impossible.  However, just as our love for each daughter is unique, we can’t wait to see our unique love unfold for our son. God has surely blessed our family again and it’s a multifaceted  honor to be having a boy.

Special Report: 20 Newsroom Writing Secrets
FREE! Powerful insider tips to supercharge your content, boost creativity and blast your writing to the next level. You'll learn hidden tactics to find story ideas, sharpen your skill and write like a pro!

Comments

1. Tina Ringo says:

Congratulations! What a blessing to have two beautiful daughters and now a son to keep you young! They are like night and day but in a good way. I have one of each and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Congrats again!

2. Congratulions, Tor! That’s a game-changer, for sure. While some of the principles are the same, and all babies have common needs, throw out the “book” you’ve used while raising your daughters. Because boys and girls, they are different. But don’t just take my word for it–you’ll see. ;-)

Here’s a suggestion for nicknames… Wait for it:

Tort & ReTort
    ;-)

3. Michelle Woodman says:

Congratulations! :)

4. Congrats man! That’s pretty cool that he’ll be the VIII, so I won’t mess with that. But if you ever have another son, your readers should get to pick the name.
    My first vote would be Optimus Prime.

5. Children are a heritage from the Lord! So happy for your family of the new addition of a baby boy.

6. Congratulations! We decided to honor both my father and my husbands late father with our sons name as well. He has 2 middle names but we love it and we put his fathers name second so it is next to the last name so his complete name is said together. Congrats on you boy. And I would remiss not to mention since I had my girl first too …boys are soooo different. They are such, well….boys! LOL

7. Yay! Congrats!

8. Aaron Rodgers says:

Way to go Tor! I’m sure that you must be relieved and elated to know that legacy will carry on. can’t wait to meet the little guy!

9. Anonymous says:

How wonderful. For both our children, we didn’t know their gender until they were born (so names got picked after we saw them). My daughter was born first. When my son arrived and the doctor said “he’s a big one” – I first heard the word “HE”. I was SO excited. It’s been a real privilege to experience the joys of both a girl and boy.

We too honored both our fathers by giving him a middle name of Karl – my father-in-law’s name which is also the German version of my dad’s name Charles.

Congratulations, Tor!

10. Donna Cavanagh says:

Congratulations! A little Tor! I bet everyone is thrilled! But if it was a girl, she could have just kept her name forever. That would work too.

• TorConstantino says:

We already have signed contracts with our daughters to keep the Constantino moniker once they marry – it’s a contract rider I added to when we were negotiating me paying their weddings…

11. Way to go. Never had a boy, technically I never had a girl my wife did.*rimshot*

12. What will Salvatore Jr Jr Jr Jr Jr Jr Jr Jr do when he reaches the age of maturity? Given the way schools have abandoned penmanship as outdated and useless, they are bound to discard Roman Numerals, as well! How will he be able to continue this tradition?
    :-)

13. Congrats!

14. Meredithmcnerney says:

Beautiful! This is such happy news and we are thrilled to share in your excitement!!!

What an excellent gift you have as a writer as well as an incredible family man! Love how you expressed that for all of us to enjoy!

15. Meredithmcnerney says:

16. Cassella family says:

Congratulations!! What a wonderful addition to your beautiful family!